Login by IP is a Drupal module which automatically logs in any enabled user by their IP address. It works by:
- Getting the IP for the current visitor - it uses the high availability service from https://www.ipify.org
- It then checks if a user account is assigned to current client IP
- Login the user
All of it through jQuery calls to the backend of Drupal so there’s no actual slowness to the visitor. The process is a bit more involved but that’s the gist of it.
- Enable the Login by IP module and go to People > Login by IP (admin/people/login-by-ip)
- Click the “+ Add user” link towards the bottom of the page, insert/search for the desired username, add your IP and save settings.
- Open the website in a new window that doesn’t have a session opened (like Chrome’s incognito window) and you will be automatically logged in if your username and IP matches.
Examples of each functionality together with screenshots very soon!